Exercise Safely: How To Prevent Injury During Physical Activities Photo credit: iStock Images
- There are several reasons, such as not resting during workouts, due to which people can get injured during training.
- Regulation of a compatible and healthy fitness routine is necessary for performing exercise sessions safely
- Staying physically active is essential for keeping the body fit and healthy
New Delhi: Exercising may not be a cup of tea for everyone. However, exercising regularly and staying physically active is recommended by health experts to reduce the risk of developing several health problems such as cardiovascular disease, muscle problems, and bone problems. But all good things come at a price, and one of the prices people often have to pay to follow a rewarding workout routine is the price of injury. It is common to sustain injuries during exercise sessions and the intensity of the injuries can range from mild (joint pain, back pain and sprains) to severe (ligament tears, bone and joint dislocations and fractures).
Tips for safer exercise sessions
Here are some ways to prevent injury during exercise:
- Choose the right exercise: Make sure you choose exercises that are compatible with your body. Forcing your body to perform exercises that may or may not be suitable for your body can cause it to give in, which can lead to injuries ranging from mild to severe. If you are a beginner, choose low intensity exercises such as jogging, skipping, biking, and walking.
- Choose the right equipment: Just like exercise, choosing the right type of equipment that is right for your body and the type of exercise is essential. Make sure the equipment is in working order, accurately designed, and safe. Include safety gear such as helmets, shoes, mouth guards, gloves, knee pads, and shin guards that can act as a shield and protective layer.
- Warm up: Preparing your body for exercise is key to reducing the risk of injury. This can be achieved through warm-ups. Practice warm-up techniques such as walking, running, or skipping rope to make sure your body is ready for the grueling routine.
- Understanding your body: Before starting an exercise routine, make sure that you are in good physical and mental health. Do not overexert yourself by putting pressure on your body as this can lead to injury. Remember to take a break and rest your body.
- Try the flexibility: Working on making the body flexible can help improve endurance, which can help reduce the risk of injury. Practice flexibility exercises such as yoga and stretching. Remember to stretch only after warming up.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting a fitness program or making any changes to your diet.
Get the latest news on health, healthy eating, weight loss, yoga and fitness tips, more updates at Times Now